We are looking for a highly experienced and skilled individual to join FSCS as a Scrum Master. The role holder will be responsible for ensuring the team lives agile values and principles and follows the processes and practices to delight customers. They will be passionate about their work and be excited to work in an organisation that makes a difference to millions of lives.
The successful Scrum Master will have extensive experience working with multiple web development teams and a great knowledge of the software development life-cycle (SDLC) having worked as a dedicated Scrum Master and an agile coach.
FSCS is a long-established organisation with an enviable reputation for quality and success. We protect consumers when financial services firms fail. It’s the compensation scheme for customers of UK authorised financial services firms. Since 2001 we’ve helped millions of people and paid out billions of pounds. It’s completely free to consumers and independent of government and the financial industry.
At FSCS we recognise and reward people’s hard work and contribution and actively support personal and professional development. Our people make a difference to other people’s lives and we like to recognise their impact through social events, team lunches and away days, fund raising activities and giving back events.
We are committed to ensuring that there are no barriers when applying for our roles. All our roles are offered with flexibility in mind plus we are keen to make any reasonable adjustments to enable you to fulfil the role. We offer all roles as either part time or full time with the added benefit of flexible working. We practice award winning diversity and inclusion and enhance both maternity and paternity leave plus recognise the wider needs of employees with disabilities and other groups such as carers and older workers.
FSCS is non-profit and independent and a great place to work if you enjoy making a difference to people’s lives.
We put the customer at the heart of everything we do at FSCS. Our values are designed to ensure that all staff can affect the impact on our customers:
- We always do what we say we will do. People can trust us to deliver.
- We put FSCS and what FSCS is trying to achieve above all else.
- We have the humility to acknowledge when we are wrong and learn from our mistakes.
- We encourage constructive and appropriate challenge.
- We are brave and honest in questioning each other and receptive to questions ourselves.
- We strive daily to add greater value for all our customers.
- We believe in our collective strength. We work better together.
- We respect each other’s expertise and use it to achieve common goals.
- We work as one to do what we agree is right
What the role will deliver
- Guiding the Web Scrum teams and organisation on how to use Agile/Scrum practices and values to delight customers.
- Assessing the Scrum Maturity of the teams and organisation and coaching the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organisation.
- Removing impediments or guiding the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to remove the impediment.
- Building a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on healing and problem-solving.
- Facilitating getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution.
- Assisting with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information.
- Supporting and educating the Product Owner, especially on grooming and maintaining the product backlog.
- Providing all support to the teams using a servant leadership style whenever possible, and leading by example.
What you need to know
Technical Skills & Knowledge
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) or Certified Scrum Professional (CSP)
- Excellent SCRUM and Agile process knowledge
- Knowledge of various well-documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach (e.g. Burndown technologies, Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc.).
- Knowledge of other Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, Crystal, FDD, etc.
- Excellent software development lifecycle (SDLC) knowledge.
- Office 365: Teams, Sharepoint, Powerpoint
- Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) (desirable, not required)
- Knowledge of Web development technologies: Microsoft .NET, C#, ASP .NET and MVC (desirable, not required)
- Knowledge of Content Management Systems (EPiServer desirable, not required)
- Team Foundation Server 2015 or higher (desirable, not required)
- Proven ability to perform the Scrum Master role across multiple teams and to act as an agile coach for an organisation.
- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
- Good organisation skills with a logical, analytical approach to solving problems and the ability to prioritise work to meet demands and deadlines.
- Excellent customer facing skills, with a professional and helpful manner.
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills.
- Experience in playing the Scrum Master for multiple web development teams that were diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory.
- Awareness and experience with Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing.
- Preferred background in software product development.
We have a generous benefits package offering a competitive salary, 26 days’ holiday plus Bank Holidays, contributory pension, discretionary bonus, 20 weeks fully paid maternity and paternity leave, health and dental insurance and more. We are based in the City of London in corporate offices with excellent access to major transport links.