We are looking for a highly experienced and skilled individual to join FSCS as a Web Development & Support Lead. The ideal candidate will not only be a great Manager but will be passionate about the work we do and the service we provide to our customers.
The successful applicant will be part of the team responsible for the technical delivery and support of our web-based business applications including two customer facing Microsoft.NET-based web portals and an EPiServer-based internet site following best practice and security standards.
The ideal candidate will be required to work closely with our suppliers and partners to deliver solutions to meet the business needs. They will therefore require strong communication, planning and co-ordination skills.
FSCS is a long-established organisation with an enviable reputation for quality and success. We protect consumers when financial services firms fail. It’s the compensation scheme for customers of UK authorised financial services firms. Since 2001 we’ve helped millions of people and paid out billions of pounds. It’s completely free to consumers and independent of government and the financial industry.
At FSCS we recognise and reward people’s hard work and contribution and actively support personal and professional development. Our people make a difference to other people’s lives and we like to recognise their impact through social events, team lunches and away days, fund raising activities and giving back events.
We are committed to ensuring that there are no barriers when applying for our roles. All our roles are offered with flexibility in mind plus we are keen to make any reasonable adjustments to enable you to fulfil the role. We offer all roles as either part time or full time with the added benefit of flexible working. We practice award winning diversity and inclusion and enhance both maternity and paternity leave plus recognise the wider needs of employees with disabilities and other groups such as carers and older workers.
FSCS is non-profit and independent and a great place to work if you enjoy making a difference to people’s lives.
We put the customer at the heart of everything we do at FSCS. Our values are designed to ensure that all staff can affect the impact on our customers:
- We always do what we say we will do. People can trust us to deliver.
- We put FSCS and what FSCS is trying to achieve above all else.
- We have the humility to acknowledge when we are wrong and learn from our mistakes.
- We encourage constructive and appropriate challenge.
- We are brave and honest in questioning each other and receptive to questions ourselves.
- We strive daily to add greater value for all our customers.
- We believe in our collective strength. We work better together.
- We respect each other’s expertise and use it to achieve common goals.
- We work as one to do what we agree is right
What the role will deliver
- Significant experience developing and implementing web-based and cross-platform solutions.
- Demonstrate experience of leading web development and support teams.
- Full software development lifecycle experience using structured and agile approaches.
- Solution design and architecture.
- Experience of unit testing, structured testing and quality assurance approaches.
- Experience working in continuous delivery within the agile mindset.
- Experience of Object Oriented design principles and design patterns.
- Work with business users and SCRUM team to ensure business requirements are defined and agreed, co-ordinating requests for enhancements and developments for FSCS IT controlled applications
- Work with the Development Manager to ensure that the web development and support team is following best practices, using the appropriate tools and adhering to the most efficient development process
- Deliver development and enhancement activities in support of the business raised change requests and releases for FSCS applications working closely with the CIO Teams, Partners and Suppliers.
- Solution architecture and design.
- Quality Assurance, including quality planning and controls for both FSCS and Suppliers.
- Advice and guidance to FSCS users in support of their application requirements.
- Follow the FSCS IT Release Management process and control all IT application releases to the FSCS environment including:
- Reviewing release planning
- Discovery, documentation, resolution and escalation of release dependencies, risks and issues
- Adherence to IT Change Management process and controls
- Formal communications to management and stakeholders
- Coordination of Environment and Configuration Management
- Coordinate release approval and closure
- Works closely with security management team to ensure that web development is following security best practices
- Provide 2nd and 3rd line support across key FSCS IT controlled web applications categorising, prioritising, triaging and progressing service requests, incidents, problems and changes which are logged with IT, in-line with industry best practices (i.e. ITIL)
- Coordinate and direct suppliers where 3rd party suppliers are required to deliver the end-to-end application support capability, ensuring end-users are regularly updated on progress against their service request /incident /problem /change request
- Responsible for monitoring web applications and proactively act upon any detected issues
- Ensure that all mitigation procedures are followed when a security issue related to web applications is discovered
What you need to know
Technical Skills & Knowledge
- Microsoft .NET 4.7 or higher using C# (required)
- ASP .NET and MVC (required)
- EPiServer Content Management System (required)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 or higher (required)
- Web Services Integration using SOAP and REST (required)
- Visual Studio 2017 or higher (required)
- JSON, XML, XPath and XSLT (required)
- GIT and branching methodologies (required)
- OWASP Top 10 security framework (required)
- Agile and SCRUM (required)
- Entity Framework (desirable)
- Team Foundation Server2015 or higher (desirable)
- Static Application Security Testing (desirable)
- CI/CD (desirable)
- SASS, Webpack (desirable)
- Elasticsearch (desirable)
- ITIL experience and qualifications (desirable)
- Proven ability to lead teams in operational support and development activities.
- Work effectively following the SCRUM methodology. Working closely with Product Owner and alongside the Development Team.
- Ability to work on your own initiative whilst at the same time adhering to strict IT policies and procedures
- Excellent customer facing skills, with a professional and helpful manner.
- Willingness to record, capture and document all tasks and projects without exception through the appropriate IT process/procedure.
- Good organisation skills with a logical, analytical approach to solving problems and the ability to prioritise work to meet demands and deadlines of both web support and web development.
We have a generous benefits package offering a competitive salary, 26 days’ holiday plus Bank Holidays, contributory pension, discretionary bonus, 20 weeks fully paid maternity and paternity leave, health and dental insurance and more. We are based in the City of London in corporate offices with excellent access to major transport links.